AZ PIONEERS’ HOME CEMETERY
The Arizona Pioneers’ Home has legislative authority to manage and maintain the historic Pioneers’ Home Cemetery, 1300 Iron Springs Rd., Prescott. The cemetery has three sections:
- The Simmons Cemetery Section, established on the hill top in the 1800s. Ash burials only are available in this section for $500.00 per space.
- The “New Section” consists of the most recent surveyed areas lower on the property. Interment rights in this area are $900.00 per plot.
- The “Old Section,” located on the north side of the property. No burials are taking place in this section.
Obtaining Interment Rights:
- Call the Arizona Pioneers’ Home (928)445-2181 or contact a local mortuary to determine plot availability and make purchases. A burial plot is $900.00; an ash plot $500.00.
- Payment for interment rights must be made to the Arizona Pioneers’ Home. Full payment for interment rights of a space must be received by the Home prior to burial in a space. When mailing, send to: AZ Pioneers’ Home, 300 S McCormick St., Prescott, AZ 86303.
- Cost for interment rights only includes the right for burial in a specific plot. Costs for opening and closing of the grave, headstones, caskets, etc., are the responsibility of the purchaser and independent of the interment right cost.
- Interment rights can be transferred or sold, but for no more than what was paid the Pioneers’ Home. Any transfer of ownership must be coordinated through the Home’s Administrative Office.
The Burial Process:
- Casket burials must be performed by the Home’s contracted provider. Contact the Pioneers’ Home for the provider’s name and phone number, or request a local mortuary to assist with this process. Payment for opening and closing graves shall be made directly to the contracted provider.
- Ash burials must be performed by the Home’s Maintenance Department. Contact the Pioneers’ Home to schedule. Payment for each burial is $75.00 and must be paid in advance. Ashes may be placed in the gravesite of an existing family member, requiring the $75.00 burial payment fee, but nothing further for the plot.
- Headstones may only be placed by the Home’s contracted provider. Contact the Pioneers’ Home for the provider’s name and phone number, or request a local mortuary to assist with this process.
- Headstones in the New Section shall be flat and low to the ground. Holders for flowers in the New Section must be inset. Simmons Section stones may be upright. Metal pot-holders and rock or fence borders are not permitted.
- The Cemetery is maintained in natural vegetation with native grasses and other plants. No special plantings around graves are permitted and all grave decorations must be disposable so that mowing and maintenance can continue.
- Notice of burials must be furnished to the Arizona Pioneers’ Home. Burial information is given to Sharlot Hall Museum for entry in the Yavapai County cemetery database.
For further information, contact the AZ Pioneers’ Home at (928)445-2181.
Click Sharlot Hall below to search the Yavapai County Cemetery Database
Cinematography: film crews wrapping up filming of 'Jolene'
Officials won't file charges in Billy the Kid grave case
Back at rest:
Bones of 'Billy the Kid' return to Prescott
300 S. McCormick St.
Prescott, Arizona 86303
Business Office Hours:
7am to 4pm
Monday - Friday